Arab World Social Innovation Forum (AWSIF) Coordinator:
Ashoka is the global association of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs—men and women with system changing solutions for the world’s most urgent social problems. Social entrepreneurs are individuals with innovative solutions to society’s most pressing social problems. From its Regional Office in Cairo Ashoka Arab World creates a competitive, entrepreneurial, and globally integrated citizen sector and develops the profession of social entrepreneurship. Ashoka currently works with 68 Ashoka Fellows located in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.
Position Title: AWSIF Coordinator
Reports to: Ashoka Regional Director
Office hours: 9 am to 5 pm (unless assigned to stay later fulfilling work requirements)
Working days: Sunday through Thursday, with weekends on Friday and Saturday. Work-related obligations sometimes require weekend attendance.
- Arab World Social Innovation Forum AWSIF
The Arab World Social Innovation Forum (AWSIF) is a region-wide physical platform for the enhancement of social innovation in the Arab world. The Forum will leverage Ashoka’s longstanding support and pioneering of social entrepreneurship to connect guests to the latest high-impact social initiatives and partnerships, making the event a reference for social innovation and change in the Arab World. In AWSIF Ashoka brings together social innovators, businessmen, representatives of international foundations, entrepreneurs and policy makers with the purpose of gathering around the idea of Arab society where every individual – man, woman and child – is a changemaker, an individual who can pinpoint social needs and take it upon themselves to answer this call to action.
Ashoka’s determination with organizing AWSIF is to shift the culture and mindset of how we contribute to our societies. In form of panels, round table thematic discussions, inviting key note speakers, showcasing the work of Ashoka fellows, honoring people with a journey in spreading and supporting Social Entrepreneurship (SE), launching new system changing initiatives and creative, action-oriented workshops; participants will be able to work on developing strategies of transforming our countries and communities into environments for changemakers.
The AWSIF Coordinator reports to the Regional Director. The tasks include but are not limited to:
a. Provide overall strategy, support and help for carrying out AWSIF
i. Develop AWSIF agenda and theme. There are 4 mandatory aspects of Ashoka: Induction, Keynote, Advisory board, Pledge follow-up. Structure and other components are open to change.
ii. Determine the date for the event, research world events and conferences, set back up date in case of conflict.
iii. Choose the best venue for the event.
iv. Organize catering with the venue.
v. Make a list of all needed equipments and ensure its delivery to the venue on the event date.
vi. Determine ticket prices and what do they exactly cover in coordination with the development team.
vii. Decide on the topics for the roundtable discussions that fit with the overall AWSIF theme for the year.
- Assign interns and staff members for each round table during the event
- Decide and invite the facilitator for each roundtable
- Create roundtable topics presentation and background notes
- Develop questions for roundtable discussions
- Create pledge forms for the roundtable participants
i. Find keynote speakers for the event.
ii. Supervise and work closely with Interns to develop a list of Invitees for:
- Keynote Speakers
- Roundtable discussion participants
i. Carry out some research on the invitees.
ii. Write and send out invitation letters.
iii. Sending informative emails to delegates, invitees and participants leading up to event like: reminder e-mails, basic info and logistic travel information about Cairo for participants living abroad.
iv. Make arrangements for flights, hotels and airport transportation for out of town guests.
v. Work closely with invitees to get their Bios and contacts to create the event booklet.
vi. Create a centralized database for invitees and follow up on their status and RSVPs.
vii. Coordinate invitees seating, VIPs tables and delegates’ tables.
viii. Hire translators for the event and make sure they are well oriented and have all the required documents.
i. Write event publications.
ii. Put together the event booklet.
iii. Put together the registration packages.
iv. Coordinate printings and make sure they are done on time.
v. Buy Awards.
vi. Reach out to Media
- Get op-eds in different blogs and papers leading up to AWSIF to get the event out there.
- Get media interviews and support with AAW Regional Director, Fellows and VIPs attending the event.
- Regularly update AAW social media outlets.
i. Write the Regional Director’s speech on the day.
ii. Help with other people’s speeches, including fellows and VIPS, as requested.
iii. On the day of the event:
- Lead all coordination efforts on the event’s day
- Have a contingency plan for everything
- Distribute tasks over interns and staff members
i. Follow-up after the event:
- Send thank you notes to all attendees
- Pledge follow-ups
- Create a database with everyone who came, what they attended and their emails in order to keep the excitement from AWSIF up all year
- Works closely with staff members in different functional areas to ensure a productive forum: i. Coordinate and oversee all AWSIF tasks, making staff meets deadlines ii. Work closely with AAW Regional Director, Dr. Iman Bibars, to ensure her ideas and directions are expressed to the appropriate people and that they are implemented iii. Work closely with the Development team and interns to:
- Create a list of potential sponsors
- Write and send sponsors invitation letters
- Follow up and maintain contact with those who respond positively
- Update AAW and AWSIF database with new contacts and sponsors status
i. Work closely with the Media and Marketing team to:
- Come up with a list of potential news sources (national, regional and international)
- Send out event invitations to media representatives
- Ask Media reps to write stories and advertisements beforehand about the event
- Write press release packages
- Create an AWSIF newsletter to be sent to invited people
- Arrange for interview to take place with VIPs, fellows and staff on the day of the event
i. Work closely with the IT officer to:
- Design and print name tags, banners, and roll –ups.
- Update the website.
i. Work closely with the Fellowship team to:
- Brainstorm how to highlight fellows and allow for networking opportunities during the forum
- Help prepare fellows for what to expect during the event
- Organize the fellows section in the forum (documentaries, slideshows, speeches)
i. If AWSIF is held abroad, this person will be the point of communication between Ashoka and the location
i. Act as the contact focal point through which all communications go through to avoid any confusion/oversight
ii. Coordinates all communication with those carrying AWSIF abroad
i. Together with her/his supervisor, the staff member will develop a performance agreement at the beginning of her/his term. This agreement will include goals, measures and expected results and will be the baseline for the performance review to take place after the first six months and the end of the year.
ii. Together with her/his supervisor, the staff member will develop an annual plan of action. This plan will be created at the beginning of the year and updated on a monthly basis.
iii. Based on annual action plan, a monthly workplan with all activities to be executed during the month will be sent to Regional Director.
iv. AWSIF Coordinator will send a weekly time-sheet to be sent at the end of Thursdays to the Operations Manager.
v. AWSIF Coordinator will send a monthly report with all activities executed during the month; to be sent to Operations Manager, Financial Manager and Regional Director on the 25th of each month.
B.A. in a relevant field, preferably Social Sciences, Business, Economics, or Political Science. An MA in a relevant field to sustainable development or social entrepreneurship is a plus.
2. Experience and Requirements
- A Minimum of 5 years experience in the citizen sector and the social entrepreneurship field
- An experience in event planning and organizing is required
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Applicant must have strong initiative, independence, creativity, and sound judgment. They must be service-oriented and flexible, with excellent communication, organizational and research skills.
- Applicants must be able to reach out to people and engage them, ideally an applicant with a wide area of contacts in the Arab Region.
- Applicant must be a team player with a high level of commitment who is able to manage multiple high-priority tasks at once.
Proficiency in written and spoken English and Arabic is a must.
4. Work Conditions:
- We work normal office hours (9 a.m. until 5 p.m., five days a week) 50-60% of the time.
- We work until 6 or 7 p.m. at least 20 % of the time.
- During major events, we work until 8 or 9 p.m. (25 % of the time)
- Applicant must be willing to work in the office 80% of the time, and in the field 20% of the time.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should please send a CV, and a Cover Letter to: